Author Topic: The Anything Thread: Gaming Edition  (Read 8577 times)

Offline Katja Lowin

• The destroyer of worlds and candy
  • Site Admin
  • Bounty Hunter
  • Future Video Game Artist
  • Referrals: 0
    • Gamer Theory
The Anything Thread: Gaming Edition
« on: May 28, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »
Post things gaming related that don't really deserve their own thread.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Katja Lowin

• Site Admin
  • Bounty Hunter
    • Gamer Theory
Re: The Anything Thread: Gaming Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:34:51 AM »
Eve Online's next expansion, Incarna will go live on June 21st. It will allow players to step out of their space ships and walk around in stations.

Offline Rensa

• 8-bit Hero
  • Ad Absurdum
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:01:22 AM »
The rumour mill is calling the NGP's official name as the Vita. Which, frankly, sounds like a digestive biscuit to me.

Offline Katja Lowin

• Site Admin
  • Bounty Hunter
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »
It sounds like that one product from I love Lucy.

Offline Pants

• Welcome to the Fantasy Zone! Get Ready!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hero of Time
  • Rinshan Kaihou
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:31:49 PM »
Vitameatavegamin?

Offline Katja Lowin

• Site Admin
  • Bounty Hunter
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:13:52 AM »
yep, that's it

Offline paratech

• SPARTAN
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
I got my EAD account back, and my copy of Mass Effect Pinnacle Station.

-PC: AMD Quad Core A8-3800 Accelerated Processor, 16GB DDR3 Ram, Radeon HD45xx 1 GB video card, 1 TB hard drive, 500 GB hard drive, Supermulti DVD Burner, Wireless Lan 802.11 b/g/n, Beats audio Studio Quality sound, Win 7 Home Premium

-Dreams of getting a new Wii U in 201x.
-Current consoles:Wii, PS2, XBOX 360, also has DS/GBA, Vita 2xxx, and a PSP 3000

Yes, I like buying games cheap, don't like it? Deal with it!

Offline Jeff Rivera

• The Overstimmed Marine
  • Site Admin
  • Italian Plumber
  • Referrals: 3
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
I got my promotion to Gold league in StarCraft 2. Not far from the top of the league, I should be able to make Platinum some time this season.
Founder - Gamer Theory

Offline virion

• Deals Massive Damage
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:35:46 AM »
Well color me hyped.  

Also the rumor about the NGP being called the Vita I don't really see.  Watching the interview with Kojima, every piece of media he had during the interview listed it as NGP.  God I don't want them to call it Vita.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:53:12 AM by virion »
'why do you wear that stupid human suit?'

Offline Katja Lowin

• Site Admin
  • Bounty Hunter
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 04:30:47 AM »
Its pretty much confirmed that its PS Vita. The name was on Sony's dev site.

Offline virion

• Deals Massive Damage
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:23:10 AM »
^ That could just be phone related.  Throw another Cafe game onto the bet that I made awhile back if I'm wrong Brad.

Offline Katja Lowin

• Site Admin
  • Bounty Hunter
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:56:26 AM »
^ That could just be phone related.  Throw another Cafe game onto the bet that I made awhile back if I'm wrong Brad.
If I'm not mistaken, the phone related stuff is Playstation Platform and Xperia Play.

Offline virion

• Deals Massive Damage
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:36:27 AM »
True but it could be a new branding or an extension.  Or hell even maybe it has to do with the NGP but it's one of the apps.  No way to know right now.  We'll have to wait till E3 at the most to find out.

edit *** damn all the evidence does seem to lead to it being named Vita.  Eh, I'll get used to it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:40:19 AM by virion »

Offline Katja Lowin

• Site Admin
  • Bounty Hunter
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »
True but it could be a new branding or an extension.  Or hell even maybe it has to do with the NGP but it's one of the apps.  No way to know right now.  We'll have to wait till E3 at the most to find out.

edit *** damn all the evidence does seem to lead to it being named Vita.  Eh, I'll get used to it.

That reminds me, before you decide to back out.

Offline paratech

• SPARTAN
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »
I redeemed my Patapon 2 code on PSN, received LittleBigPlanet and Killzone as my free PSP games and downloaded the latest Pulse.

I also purchased Dirt on Steam for $2.50.

-PC: AMD Quad Core A8-3800 Accelerated Processor, 16GB DDR3 Ram, Radeon HD45xx 1 GB video card, 1 TB hard drive, 500 GB hard drive, Supermulti DVD Burner, Wireless Lan 802.11 b/g/n, Beats audio Studio Quality sound, Win 7 Home Premium

-Current consoles:Wii, PS2, XBOX 360, also has DS/GBA, Vita 2xxx, and a PSP 3000

Offline Tanooki

• facta non verba
  • Pink Puff Ball
  • The Suit Returns
    • My Gaming and Manga Inventory
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I still think Sony can kiss my ass for not letting me rename my terrible account name.  Had I known when I got the PSP the temporary one I setup with Nintendo would be permanent I used as a placeholder I'd have never done it.  More shitty, if I made another account I can't move over all my data/saves/etc so I'd be fubar.  Fuck you Sony.

Oh and I'm on a mighty bender lately of selling off a lot of games/gear and I got my reasons.  I went from 200-250 NES games down to around 75, but I got a (retrousb.com) PowerPak, so I can load up any old NES/FDS/Fami game on a CF cart and run it like magic.  And beyond that I got a crap ton of SNES games that have come or are in the mail now coming, there will be a pic showoff once the current stuff comes in to the 'retro finds' area.

“A man who thinks of himself as belonging to a particular national group in America has not yet become an American. And the man who goes among you to trade upon your nationality is no worthy son to live under the Stars and Stripes.”  Woodrow Wilson

Offline Rensa

• 8-bit Hero
  • Ad Absurdum
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »
A 15 y.o. I know on Facebook just liked 'You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/size][/font]'. I was like, "Awww, that's cute. Nice try, kid."

Offline Tanooki

• facta non verba
  • Pink Puff Ball
  • The Suit Returns
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 08:34:10 PM »
I have no idea why, but for the first time in over a year I played Super Mario Bros Wii.  I'm still not sure I like it.  I did the back half of world 4.  It reminded me that the gravity/physics in it suck as it's like being on ice all the time and I have no idea why.  Level designs are good, but those insipid large coins need to just die as it's messed up how so many of them are placed so badly and if you don't get every one of them world9 is off limits.  I miss when people used to just use special coins for 1UPs or items, and you just had to find the secret well(or not) hidden path or path to a mid-level creature to go to special places and it should have stayed that way.  The DS game annoys too you need micro mario or you lose 2 full worlds of a shorter 6 world game (dumb, though dumbest on a portable was inability to save anytime having to buy saves until you finish the last world.)

“A man who thinks of himself as belonging to a particular national group in America has not yet become an American. And the man who goes among you to trade upon your nationality is no worthy son to live under the Stars and Stripes.”  Woodrow Wilson

Offline paratech

• SPARTAN
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »
Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from about the saves on the DS version and the lack of saves, although there is a way to "cheat." Once you've played through world 1, just go to the first tower and beat it again, then it will let you save. The first tower is easy enough to beat, so its a bit annoying, but at least they "goofed" and let you do that trick.

I don't care about world 9 on the Wii version and have no interest in getting every coin.

Also the 2 levels you don't "have" to play on the DS version make it too easy. They should have been required to get the ending or there should have been another ending if you beat all the stages.

Still, I love both "New" Super Mario DS games and I hope there's a sequel on the 3DS, it would make me want a 3DS a lot more than I do now

Offline Tanooki

• facta non verba
  • Pink Puff Ball
  • The Suit Returns
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »
Yeah I refuse to do that crap as it's uncalled for.  They think they're adding a challenge, and sure I guess it is, but most of the coins are in aggravating spots you need to luck into just finding, or they're in a suicide jump/drop/pit and odds are you'll die getting the coins hence losing it.  When I get to where I want to be on it Ill just get a full download so I can properly enjoy what I paid for.

They need to grow up and stop doing stuff the wrong way.  Warp whistles and Star Roads with hidden roads in that road is the way to go about it, not f'n annoying coins that should be propped up as the earn 5 for a 1up like the yoshi coins were on SNES they ruined in the GBA versions.

Offline MR EPIC

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
Does anybody have any clue as to when Half Life 2: Episode 3 will release?

Offline Pants

• Global Moderator
  • Hero of Time
  • Rinshan Kaihou
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
Does anybody have any clue as to when Half Life 2: Episode 3 will release?

Sometime in 2017.

Offline MR EPIC

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
That sounds about right. They might as well rename it "Half Life: Forever".

Offline Tanooki

• facta non verba
  • Pink Puff Ball
  • The Suit Returns
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 01:29:53 PM »
Hey I got this new laptop with some funds from reselling for months and months and parting off some of my goodies.  Anyway it has a dx10.1 level video card that can use up to 1750MB of ram it appears, it's an equal to a budget level last gen radeon 5450 video card so it can get dumb on some (low fps but due to mouse being non-synced to 3d it works CiV5 and even on lower settings starcraft2 too) I'm kind of tempted to start poking about.

I saw that damn pretty looking Tomb Raider up there, got me thinking if Guardians of the Light would be a good choice for someone outright disgusted how bad the series got in the later numbers, dc, ps1, ps2 era spinoff shit.  I heard it while 3D though isometrically planted is damn fun in the old old style way -- anyone here touch this?  I'm not a lover of FPS much at all, tactical/srpgs can piss off, western rpgs, sports, most racing(serious stuff totally), and fighters I don't have a love for much anymore either.  Got some suggestions, maybe stuff on GoG.com or Steampowered.com perhaps as I am budgeted obviously if making $200 on earthbound NES and SNES put me into this nice laptop.

Offline Pants

• Global Moderator
  • Hero of Time
  • Rinshan Kaihou
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
Guardian of Light is a decent time waster.

Offline Tanooki

• facta non verba
  • Pink Puff Ball
  • The Suit Returns
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
I may have to look into that one, it is on PSN though too.  I guess the little snag I have with steam is the fact you have to keep their app installed or the games don't run, not sure if you can store a local copy as I never tried. GoG.com though are stand alone entirely to do with as you wish which I prefer.

I know steam promises if they got shut down they'd release and unlock, but promises are kind of like hopes and wishes...shit in one hand and hope and wish in the other, which do you think will fill first?

Offline paratech

• SPARTAN
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 06:35:09 PM »
Well you don't have to be online to play games offline, but if you want to play Guardians of Light online multiplayer, you'll need to be online.

With authentication servers and limited installs, its not much different having an EA or Ubisoft game retail or digital or a Steam game.

The days you can buy a DVD, install it, and don't have some authentication server or Steam to deal with is pretty well over on the PC.

Offline Tanooki

• facta non verba
  • Pink Puff Ball
  • The Suit Returns
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »
I didn't think Steam played any shenanigans though.  All I know is that I can play a few things, and some which are on Wii and PSN (or even live) are on steam so I can have a legit copy of it which I prefer I can hold onto.  If they're honest, when they eat it if ever they're setup to have an unlock so stuff is just yours for keeps.

Offline Rensa

• 8-bit Hero
  • Ad Absurdum
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
Wow, I just saw the Comic-Con demo of Skyward Sword. Colour me much more impressed with the swordplay.

Offline RissieChie

• Fresh Meat
  • Party slime.
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 09:18:36 AM »
Square Enix is going to be announcing a new Dragon Quest game on September 5th (Monday)! Hopefully it's going to be Dragon Quest X!